Sunday, November 28, 2010

Baraka

Although at some points it was very strange, I enjoyed this film.  Honestly, some parts of it were boring; usually I thought they were boring because they were showing the same thing for a very long time and it was just dragging on.  I think if this movie was at a faster pace, it would have been more interesting for me.  Other than that, I really liked a lot of the scenery and different cultures they showed.  One of the scenes I really like was (I have no idea where it was) the people living in a forest type place.  Basically the entire shot was covered in bright green trees and plants, except for the dirt and the people.  It reminded me of something out of Avatar!  Another thing that stood out to me was the men chanting.  At first I thought "What are they doing?!" but then I realized that it is a part of their culture and it was really fascinating. 

There were so many shots throughout the entire movie where I would think how beautiful or interesting a photo of it would be, and how even more amazing it would be to actually be there to take that photo.  Although at first I did not like the fact that there was no commentary, I ended up liking it better that way.  I liked it becuase it made you think about the scene yourself and analyze or just look at it in your own way without someone telling you about it.  I think if there was commentary it would take away from the effect of the scenery and emotion of the shots because in a way you would be distracted from it; it keeps you thinking.  With commentary, there would be someone telling us about the scene, where & when it was shot, who shot it, & emotions or thoughts were behind filming it.  Like I said before, this takes away from us doing our own thinking on the shot, what we think of it when we look at it, and where we can guess it was taken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment